fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP Color Laserjet 2605dn

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by Chrissy Coffinger (11/12/07 9:29 AM) reply + / -
I have a printer that is printing the black way to much (losing shadow details), and not printing the magenta at the correct amount (not enough saturation). I have not changed any settings on my computer of how they should print, and all of the color cartridges have been replaced last friday.

I have re-calibrated the color on the printer 3-5 times, and cleaned it. I know it's not a setting on my computer, because i have never messed with any of those things, and have reset it to default printer settings

Can someone help me and tell me what could be wrong with the acutal printer. Is there some other component that needs replacing the would change the way each color prints?

Thanks for the help.

Chrissy Coffinger
Graphic Designer
La Sportiva N.A. Inc.
ccoffinger@sportiva.com
303-443-8710 x: 16

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by sue o (12/14/08 11:25 PM) reply + / -
The laser mirrors get dusty in these machines. I have seen this numerous times and the fix is to remove the laser unit and clean all of the mirrors. The magenta is the first to see problems as it is in the bottom of the machine and gets most of the dust deposited on it. Also, this machine uses the ITB (belt) to move paper rather than transfer toner to the paper http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K98.

Re: Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by rcampsr (2/19/09 11:27 PM) reply + / -
I was reading your post and wanted to know where the mirrors are located in the 2605 printer. I have cleaned everything that I can physically get at short of taking the printer appart. i am mechanically inclined so this action would not be a problem if necessary. I have cleeaned all the leds, elect. contacts, feeds, etc. even with new HP print cartridges the color saturation of the printer is, well, you can just about see it on the test pages. Magenta went out first and the others follower over a period of several months. If you have any other suggestions please feel free to share. Thanks, AIM: zoy47

Re: Re: Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by Anonymous (12/3/09 1:25 PM) reply + / -
I eventually replaced the printer because we could not get it to work, but later, I did find the source of the problem.

What happens is that dust gets into the bottom of the printer, and ends up sticking to the magenta mirror first since it is on the bottom. The best way to prevent this is to frequently dust the area around the printer to keep dust from going into the printer. Or, have a professional take it apart and clean the mirrors. We followed the online instructions and took it apart here, and could never get it back together correctly. So my advice is have a professional do it take it apart and clean it.

This was a total pain in the butt... this is definitely a design flaw in the machine. Hopefully future models will address this.

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by printerman60 (1/12/11 2:59 PM) reply + / -
its major surgery getting to the laser scanner assy, machine tear down.
we have the same problem with red (magenta).http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K98 appears the only soln.

Re: Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by moe (1/12/11 3:20 PM) reply + / -
I did a step-by-step tear down video of the procedure. It's available if anyone is interested.

Re: Re: Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by printerdoctor1 (1/13/11 3:04 PM) reply + / -
I'm interested. I'm trying to get at laser scanner now and I removed all screws on formatter cage. Are there screws under the wire harness along the top.

Where is the video?

Thanks

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by moe (edited 3/16/11 2:25 PM) reply + / -
There are 3 screws under the harness. You have to pull all the wires out. If you want the video http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K98

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by printerdoctor1 (1/14/11 2:30 PM) reply + / -
Printer all back together and working properly.

Thanks Moe!!!

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by normanrvr (1/22/11 11:06 AM) reply + / -
I had the same lack of Magenta & cleaned the mirrors per Moe's instructions (excellent, by the way).

I am still having trouble but it is the all over faded look others have mentioned. It appears that all is registered well & even but just that there is very little toner being deposited. I have tried adjusting the mirror box as described in earlier posts and can get some change but it only goes between very, very light & very light. At worstI can only see gray lines where black shouldbe & do notsee the colors,atbest I get midtone for black & the colors come invery faintly, really havingto look to see yellow. Thisis using the Testbutton that gives a series of horizontal lines.

What else can I look for? Before I cleaned mirrors the other cartridges seemed to be OK. I mostly print B/W & had been very satisfied with that but colors had the greenish/grayish cast & were unacceptable. Now NOTHING is usable.

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by moe (1/22/11 5:08 PM) reply + / -
Try a recalibration. It's somewhere in the Menu. I just push buttons until I find it. There isn't very much in the menu, so it's relatively easy to find.

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by normanrvr (1/22/11 7:02 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Moe - unfortunately I have recalibrated many times. Each time I adjust the mirror box I recalibrate from 3 - 5 times. I have not seen any difference in the test print from recalibration. I have seen a very slight difference from box position.

There seems to be something else, maybe a wire or connection that I loosened while cleaning. I would prefer to not just take it all apart AGAIN as I might loosensomething else. Anyone know which would control toner density?

Thanks

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by moe (1/22/11 11:48 PM) reply + / -
I've done lots of them and never had a problem. I'm not understanding what you are adjusting on the box. It is real easy to put it back in wrong. You can actually feel it when it sets down into place. One thing you have to watch is that it sits totally flat before you put the screws in. I always blow it out with compressed air after I clean it with a cotton swab.

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by normanrvr (1/23/11 12:47 AM) reply + / -
Hi Moe,

My adjustment of the box is simply small up/down left/right movements to the limits of the screw holes. Other posts (I thought on this thread) spoke of the same symptoms, "adjusting" the box (it seemed to be to better align with the cartridges) leading to great prints.

The 1st time I installed the box after cleaning I got "draggy" prints so I took it back out. I had not gotten the lower tab in the hole (don't know how I got the screws to catch). I put it back in more carefully & got nicely registered prints of the test page with the monkey - just way way way light.

One thread spoke of my symptoms & fixing them by "adjusting the box" so I thought I would try. At best I get a slight change to the print density. Using the internal test button that generates lines it looks clean & horizontal - just not dark.

Is there a density setting in the software (I have been through the printer menus & accessing through the web page)?
Since all colors & black beacame light AFTER I had messed with the mirror box (previously only Magenta seemed to be an issue) it seemed reasonable that the box was the issue.
Or that there was a connection that did not go back right (or I loosened by accident). Is there 1 specific cable that handles density?

Thanks again, Norman

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by moe (1/23/11 8:37 AM) reply + / -
That pdf just repeats everything I've espoused. Clean the mirrors with a dry cotton swab and blow with compressed air. I figured all that out without instructions or manuals. It also says to make sure the box is seated. There is NO movement if it is properly seated. You can put the screws in even if it isn't seated. So, if it's moving, it's not in properly. Wiring not being in properly will not cause the problem. Something won't work at all if that's the case. You either contaminated the mirrors or don't have the box in properly. That's what you need to focus on. I do one or two of these a week. I can do them in less than 15 minutes start to finish. I know what I'm talking about.

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by normanrvr (1/23/11 3:55 PM) reply + / -
Hi again,

I have had the box out 3 or 4 times (down to about 15 minutes) so far and I am a bit afraid of damaging the ribbon cables with too many R&Rs. I did have a placement/fit issue the 1st time and believe that each time since i have it well seated. Looking through the front (cartidges & drawer out) I can see the tabs coming through the upper & lower slots & they look correct. As dmzcompute said I only have one of these, but I have worked on many similar things so seeing how things fit is not a new concept. The long "lenses" on the box show in the slots although the distance between the slots & the corresponding distances on the box do not seem an exact match. But I do seem to see the entire "lense" in each.

Similar to the "miracle" of cleaning the mirrors the concept of "adjusting" the box was said to have amazing results. I have trouble seeing that as when seated there is only the tolerance of the screw holes to "adjust". It would seem that the position of the cartridge will change by more than that with each install, & maybe during printing. I was game to try it as it seemed easier than going back in.

I will take the box out again, reclean the mirrors & reinstall carefully.

I am still having trouble with the fact that 3 cartridges got lighter after cleaning. It seems hard to believe that I could have done something so evenly to them all.

Thanks again, Norman

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by normanrvr (1/23/11 9:29 PM) reply + / -
So; I removed the box, cleaned the mirrors with a dry swab, blew it out with canned air, sealed the holes and put it back together. I ran several calibrations & then test prints.

Test prints are better, but still not very dark. As best as I can tell the colors are balanced and registered.

I hate to give up on this printer as it has less than 10,000 pages on it but my wife won't give me much longer.

Ideas?

Thanks, Norman

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by moe (1/23/11 9:43 PM) reply + / -
I had a similar problem at a client's a week or so ago. I took it apart and cleaned it, but didn't have access to my compressor. Blew it with some canned air instead. Tried the same procedure twice and gave up and took it back to the shop where I cleaned it again, blew it out with the compressor, did one calibration and bang! It looked like the day it came out of the box.

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by normanrvr (1/23/11 11:56 PM) reply + / -
Hi Moe, When you say "compressor" what are you using?

Every thing looks really clean but maybe it is not & I just got them all to the same level of clean.

There seem to be several things that could be cleaned in addition to the mirrors (by which I assume the angled, pinkish pieces). There are the long "lenses", pairs of small lenses behind the shutter, small pieces that appear to have 3 lenses ground onto them, and the rotating square pieces. Do you swab all of these, both (all) sides?

I have a large compressor I use for tools (nailers & such). Can I use it? It has an air dryer but I am not too concerned when using it with tools, what about the box? What pressure do you use?

Thanks again, Norman

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by moe (1/24/11 7:37 AM) reply + / -
I've got a big compressor. I use an air gun blower attachment at 100lbs. of pressure. Clean all surfaces, glass and plastic on both sides and then blow it all thoroughly. I think the calibration is affected by the dust and it causes less density as a result.

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by normanrvr (1/24/11 7:58 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Moe,

I will try blowing it out with my compressor tonight. Norman

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by normanrvr (1/25/11 6:25 PM) reply + / -
Hi Moe,

I went at it again last night, including 100psi from the compressor, and it is soo much better! My wife thought it was still missing a little "punch" & unfortunately I have to agree now that I came a cross the "draggy" print after my 1st attempt. The part of the old one that printed, especially the Cyan "+", was distinctly brighter/denser.

Norman

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn - Yeah! by normanrvr (1/25/11 11:39 PM) reply + / -
Hi Moe (& others who helped),

I am wearing a very BIG GRIN because our printer is finally printing LIKE NEW!!!! It took too many cleanings of the mirror box but it is good.

For others with the fading problem keeo at it if necessary. I was worried about hurting things but eventually got to the point of "what have I got to lose" so I finally "scrubbed" pretty hard with a dry swab on all the lense/mirror items & the interior of thebox (not PCBs).

I then blew it out with just over 100psi from my compressor. I went over it several times and was sure to blow into all the corners.

This has been a several week process, as I had many major interruptions, although it was not too much actual time. I started with Moe's instructions & the only addition I would make is that blowing out will help. Blowing may not make it print better now but will get rid of dust that could dirty things in short order.

Now to put the rest of the case back on.

Thanks again, Norman

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by moe (1/26/11 9:39 AM) reply + / -
I'm glad I was able to help. Most importantly, your wife will get off your back. Trust me, you won't get treated any differently because of your success. I do speak from experience. I'm used to being taken for granted. I have a sign over my desk that reads "Never fix computers/printers for (wife's) friends".

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by cathysizer (8/28/11 5:12 PM) reply + / -
Hmmm, that's funny, I got the same reaction from my HUSBAND except in addition I get the machismo factor... Moe, you didn't mention the compressor thing to me when I emailed you about it the other day, I will try that!

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by Kiko (1/21/12 12:56 PM) reply + / -
Last couple of days our 2605dn is leaving a yellowish grey 1/2 inch vertical bar on the left side top to bottom on a 8 1/2 x 11. The belt has the yellow bar in the same area. I cleaned the toner off with a Kleenex but it came back on the prints. It has worked perfectly since Feb 2008 & the extended warranty was up Feb 2011 (bummer) Moe or anyone else have any diagnosis & solutions ???
Thanx
Kiko

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by seriously (1/21/12 2:45 PM) reply + / -
definitely try another yellow cartridge first. btw machine's warranty doesn't cover consumables. consumables have their own warranty, ie, if the cartridge is relatively new you can claim warranty on the cartridge.

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by moe (1/21/12 9:06 PM) reply + / -
Failed wiper blade in the toner cartridge. If it's an OEM HP, they're guaranteed as long as they have toner in them. Good luck getting it replaced. They print the guarantee on the bottom of the box where nobody looks.

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by Nohemi (4/15/12 2:22 PM) reply + / -
Thank you, thank you, thank you. This worked perfectly. The magenta toner is back in service.

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by GibRay (6/5/13 8:12 AM) reply + / -
I have recently moved this machine and cannot get it back up and running. The "Attention Light" is on solid but I cannot find any documentation telling me what that means (only refer to blinking attention light).

Any ideas?

Re: HP Color Laserjet 2605dn by moe (6/5/13 4:29 PM) reply + / -
Is the other light blinking?

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters